CALL TO ARTISTS
$20,000 in Prize Money
Artist Honorarium: $200 per artist
Prize Money: The public votes on their favourite chairs. People’s Choice Awards:
1st Place: $10,000
2nd Place: $5,000
3rd Place: $2,500
4th Place: $1,500
5th Place: $1,000
Artists will be working with incredible hand-crafted chair sculptures modelled after an actual chair that Stephen Leacock owned and sat in to relax, read and probably dream up novels. This original chair is in the Leacock Museum in Orillia.
Artists will transform the chairs into original works of art. The chairs will be unveiled to the public at the Streets Alive! 2012 kickoff event on June 23. People’s Choice voting will open and continue until July 28, when winners will be announced as part of Downtown Orillia’s Leacock Sidewalk Sale event.
The chairs will be displayed in downtown Orillia from June 23 to late October. The exhibit will be supported with a guide featuring a map, a profile of each chair and artist, and sponsor information. At the end of the exhibit, several of the chairs will be sold through online auction. Proceeds will support Orillia’s Streets Alive! program in its ongoing work to promote Orillia as a premiere destination for outdoor art.
The sponsor of each chair has ownership rights to their chair. Group-sponsored chairs become the property of Orillia’s Streets Alive! program.
Step-by-step Leacock Chairs information for artists:
– Artists must complete entry information and chair design on the forms provided.
– Design submissions must be received at ODAC by 4 p.m. on December 21, 2011.
– A jury will review all design entries.
– Artists are required to pick up their chair in Orillia and return their finished chair to Orillia.
– Artists of the chosen designs will be notified in early January 2012.
– The chosen designs will then be available for sponsor selection.
– The timeframe for artists to complete their Leacock Chairs will be approximately six weeks, with a deadline of June 15, 2012.
– The finished chairs will be unveiled at the Streets Alive! kickoff event on June 23, 2012, where the public will begin to vote on their favourite chairs. Voting will continue until July 28, 2012, when five artists will win a total of $20,000 in People’s Choice prizes.
Please contact Streets Alive! chair Leslie Fournier at email@example.com with any questions, and see the FAQ section.