[ Click here for Sixty Sails entry information (PDF) or see below. ]
Click on the image below for the entry form/design sheet, or pick it up at the Orillia Museum of Art and History (30 Peter Street South, Orillia) or the Orillia and District Arts Council (37 Mississaga Street West, Orillia).
A public outdoor art exhibit, presented by Streets Alive! Orillia
CALL TO ARTISTS
Artist Honorarium: Up to $250
Artist Recognition: Name of artist on base plate of sculpture and in a souvenir guide
Artist Hospitality: VIP invitation to Sixty Sails Gala & Auction
Orillia’s Streets Alive! organization invites artists to submit applications to participate in an innovative outdoor public art exhibit called Sixty Sails. The “gallery” will be Orillia’s city streets during the summer of 2011.
Sixty Sails will begin with the production of 60 eight-foot-tall sailboat sculptures. Artists will transform the sails into original works of art. The sailboats will be unveiled to the public at the Streets Alive! 2011 kickoff event in June.
Following this weekend, the sailboats will be displayed in downtown Orillia and along the boardwalk of the Port of Orillia. The Sixty Sails exhibit will be supported with a souvenir guide, which will contain a tour map, a profile and photo of each sailboat and artist, and sponsor information. UPDATE March 29/11: The exhibit will end after Thanksgiving weekend and sponsors will claim their sailboats. Proceeds from the sale of group-sponsored sculptures throughout the exhibit will support Orillia’s Streets Alive! organization in its ongoing work to promote Orillia as a premiere destination for aficionados of outdoor art.
Step-by-step Sixty Sails information for artists:
– Artists must complete entry information and sail design on the forms provided.
– Design submissions must be received at OMAH by 4 p.m. on December 11, 2010.
– A jury will review all design entries.
– The artists of the chosen designs will be notified in early January 2011.
– The chosen designs will then be available for sponsor selection.
– Painting of the sails will be completed by April 18 [date updated March 29/11], 2011.
– The finished sails will be unveiled at the Streets Alive! kickoff event in June, where the public will vote on the sails and up to four artists will win $500 ‘People’s Choice’ prizes.
1. Artists are asked to create original and unique sail designs. Entries must be in colour and can be drawn, painted or copied and pasted on the form provided. The design should be a close representation of the image the artist intends to paint or affix on the sail panel. Artists must sign the disclaimer on the entry form.
2. No logos or political, religious or sexual content are permitted in the design.
3. Designs must ensure public safety (i.e., no sharp protruding objects) and be relatively vandal-proof and weatherproof.
4. Mail or drop off design entries to:
Sixty Sails Project
c/o Orillia Museum of Art & History
30 Peter St. S.
Orillia, ON L3V 5A9
5. Deadline for design submission is 4 p.m. on December 11, 2010.
6. Entries will be juried by a panel of at least three judges appointed by the Orillia Streets Alive! Committee. The judges’ selection will be based on:
7. Decisions on acceptance are final.
8. Successful applicants will be notified in early January 2011.
9. Technical information: The sails are made of lexan, a material similar to plexiglass. Sails can be painted on one side only, for a translucent effect, or can be primed and painted on both sides.
For more information, please contact: