Click on the link below to open/download a PDF of the 2014 Call to Artists:
Art Grows Here
A public outdoor art exhibit presented by Streets Alive! Orillia
CALL TO ARTISTS
Artist Honorarium: $600 per artist
1st Place: $10,000
2nd Place: $5,000
3rd Place: $2,500
Orillia’s Streets Alive! invites artists to submit their applications to participate in an
innovative outdoor public art exhibit called ‘Art Grows Here.’ The gallery will be
Orillia’s city streets during the summer of 2014.
Art Grows Here will begin with the production of up to 40 metal planters. Artists will
transform the planters into original works of art. The planters will be unveiled at the Streets
Alive! 2014 kickoff event on June 21. Jurors will evaluate the planters on this day. People’s
Choice voting will also begin on this day and continue until August 22. Winners will be
determined by a combined Juried art mark and People’s Choice votes. Winners will be
announced during Orillia’s ‘Starry Night’ Studio and Gallery Tour, August 23.
The planters will be displayed in downtown Orillia from June 21 to late October. A guidebook
will feature information on each planter, artist and sponsor. At the end of the exhibit, some
planters will be sold through online auction. Proceeds will support Orillia’s Streets Alive!
program in its ongoing work to promote Orillia as a premiere destination for outdoor art.
The sponsor of each planter has ownership rights to their planter. Group-sponsored planters
become the property of Orillia’s Streets Alive! program.
Step-by-step ‘Art Grows Here’ planter information for artists:
– Artists must complete entry information and planter design on the forms provided.
– Design submissions, along with a $20 application fee, must be received at the Orillia Museum of Art & History by 4 pm, December 21, 2013. (Cheques payable to Streets Alive.)
– A jury will review all design entries.
– The artists of the chosen designs will be notified in early January 2014.
– The chosen designs will then be available for sponsor selection (unless an artist has already secured their own sponsor). Sponsorship of a planter is $2,000.
– Artists’ work on the planters will be completed by June 14, 2014.
– The finished planters will be unveiled at the Streets Alive! kickoff event on June 21, 2014, where the public will begin to vote on their favourite planters. Voting will continue until August 23, 2014, when three artists will win a total of $17,500 in prizes. (Final prize amounts determined by project fundraising.)